The mission of the Mercer Public Library is to provide quality materials and services that fulfill educational, informational, cultural, and recreational needs of the entire community in an atmosphere that is welcoming, respectful, and professional.
The general library goals of the Mercer Public Library shall be to:
- Serve all residents of the community and the surrounding region.
- Acquire and make available to all patrons of the library such books, periodicals, pamphlets, digital resources, online access, audiovisual materials, and other services as will address their needs to become well informed citizens; locate answers to important questions; learn about and gain access to information technology; cultivate the imagination and creative expression; develop skills for career and vocational advancement; enjoy leisure by means of reading and other media services; and facilitate the work of community services and groups.
- Serve as a center for encouraging children, young people, and adults to educate and inform themselves continuously.
- Acquire the means to provide the most frequently requested material locally and upon demand.
- Maintain a program of service which locates information, guides reading, organizes and interprets material for people of various backgrounds, and stimulates thinking and intellectual development in individuals of any age.
- Strive consistently to discover new methods and improvements for better service to the community.
- Serve as a welcoming and educational gathering place for the community.
- Provide a variety of cultural experiences in programs for the community including speakers, films, performing arts, and visual arts.
- Review regularly these goals of the Mercer Public Library and revise them as needed in the light of new developments and changing community needs.
Mission and Goal Statements reviewed and amended by the Library Board of Trustees, April 11, 2022.