In the mid-1930’s, a group of women organized to form the Mercer Civic Women’s Club. These ambitious ladies made many contributions to the community. Among the most noted of their achievements was the opening of the Mercer Public Library in the newly opened community center.
Through the diligent efforts of these women the library was opened in the fall of 1938. They sent out requests for books and received donations from as far away as Chicago, Illinois. Neighbors to the north from Ashland and Hurley also donated many books.